Re: WiFi: nm-applet, nm-editor, replace NetworkManager

2010/10/12 Stanisław Findeisen <stf@eisenbits.homelinux.net>:
> 3. This is not the first time I am having problems with NetworkManager
> here on Debian, so I think I will get rid of it. The question is how to
> switch between available WiFi connections without NetworkManager.
>
> For instance I could store network connection parameters unencrypted in
> /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf (-rw-------, root:root). How to make WPA
> Supplicant select the network I want?

wpa_supplicant in roaming mode might be suitable.
/usr/share/doc/wpa_supplicant has everything you need. Coles notes:

1. copy the example configuration to /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
2. Define your networks in wpa_supplicant.conf as described in example
file and /usr/share/doc
2b. Use network definition order, and priority keyword to have
preferred assocation
3. Add defined networks to /etc/network/interfaces
4. restart network (I do a reboot to make sure everything is restarted.
5. (optional) install wpa_gui to manage from the desktop. I find it's
buggy, but unless you're running conky, it's a good way to see what
you're connected to, and switch it if it happens to grab the wrong
one.