Re: setting up mouse and keyboard for X11

lee wrote, on 10/11/10 22:01:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 05:24:13PM +0200, Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
>> AFAIR, to configure X only with the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file it is
>> recommended to disable the "ServerFlags" option "AutoAddDevices" (see
>> man xorg.conf and /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-core/changelog.gz).
>
> When I do that, neither keyboard nor mouse work and I´m forced to
> press the reset button.

That seems strange. Did you also disable "AllowEmptyInput"?
Can we take a look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log for
that case?
Have you tried to start X without any /usr/X11/xorg.conf file?

>> Otherwise the configuration shall be migrated to
>> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf (see
>> /usr/share/doc/xser-xorg-core/changelog.Debian.gz).
>
> Thanks! The manpage of evdev shows that there´s no option to set the
> property "Evdev Wheel Emulation" which is disabled by default. How do
> you configure this property?

I'm still using the xorg.conf configuration and have disabled the device
detection by udev.
What is the output in /var/log/Xorg.0.log when you put these directives
into /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
Did you try to change the mouse configuration in
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf for the "InputClass" "evdev
pointer catchall"? In your Xorg.0.log it says:

(**) PS2++ Logitech TrackMan: Applying InputClass "evdev pointer catchall"

> The manpage also doesn´t say anything about keyboards.
>
> And how does a configuration file under /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
> fit into the Debian policy that all configuration files reside under
> /etc? Shouldn´t there be a file /etc/defaults/mouse (and more files
> for more input devices) to set up the mouse just like there´s
> /etc/defaults/keyboard? Once all input devices are configured the same
> way for X11 and the console, they should work on both ...

You're right. I think, when things get settled there will be a directory
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d containing these config files.
--
Best regards,
Jörg-Volker.