Re: Communicating with USB Modem

On 10/09/2010 02:21 AM, Hal Vaughan wrote:
I have a Debian Lenny system and I've plugged in a USB 56K modem.  (I know that's as outdated as a Model T, but I need it for business.)  When I type "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices" I get this:

T:  Bus=02 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=480 MxCh= 8
B:  Alloc=  0/800 us ( 0%), #Int=  0, #Iso=  0
[snip]
E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  16 Ivl=16ms

 From what I can find, that means the actual device file for this modem should be at /dev/bus/usb/001/002, but I know I could be wrong on that.

I'm trying to communicate with this modem.  I've used Minicom, with the device I mentioned above.  There are no /dev/ttyACM0 devices, as sometimes happens with a modem.  I've tried all /dev/ttySx, where x is from 0 to 4, with no results.  The problem with Minicom is that it can take time and a lot of frustrating keypresses to try one device after another.  Also, I'm not sure the serial port speed settings are at all appropriate in Minicom for USB modems.

Anything in dmesg or syslog when you plug it in?

--
Seek truth from facts.