Re: transcoding flv to mp4

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 01:15:16PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> And why on earth is the default behavior to multiply the size by a
> factor of four just to retain the same quality?  Is mp4 really such an
> inferior format to flv that this is required to retain the level of
> quality?

mp4 is a container, but my understanding is that it can use many
different codecs for both audio and video.  I don't know if there is a
"standard" codec that is normally used with mp4 containers, and I don't
know what ffmpeg uses by default.  But I do know that with most
containers, ffmpeg lets you specify the -vcodec and -acodec separately.
Perhaps there is a better video codec to use.  And more importantly, you
should find out what codec the recipient is expecting to see in your mp4
container.

-Rob