Re: Security and dual booting/running in VM Windows and Linux

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 09:39:00 +0100, Lisi wrote:

(...)

> If I set up a computer to dual boot Windows and Linux (specifically
> Debian Lenny) does the fact that Windows is sharing the computer in any
> way jeopardise the security of the Linux installation?

No, unless you are runing WINE inside Linux.

> Does it make any difference whether they are in separate partitions on
> the same disk or on separate HDDs?

It does not matter.

> Would running Windows in a VM from Linux make the Linux host less secure
> than dual booting, or more so?  Would the Linux host in fact be
> more/less/equally secure than/as it would be if Windows were not on the
> box at all?

Linux is not less secure by having to share the computer with Windows.

Having a VM will allow you to run your Windows system inside Linux but it
has pros and cons. If your main concern is about Linux security, this
won't decrease by having a Windows system as an OS "partner" :-)

Stored data is another thing. When running Windows just take the
recommended steps to avoid your system from being "infected". Data is "OS-
agnostic".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón