Lost keyboard in KDE 3.5.10 on Lenny.

I have a fully updated installation of Lenny.  2 days ago my keyboard
suddenly stopped working.  There is a long saga involved, but the
end-point, where I am now, is that I have established that something
has got corrupted somehow somewhere in my own personal config files.
Presumably somewhere in .kde.  I could copy the file from backup if I
knew one which it was, but I don't want to lose any of my data files
(emails, bookmarks etc.)

So can anyone help?  Has anyone any [constructive ;-) ] suggestions?

Thanks,
Lisi