Re: Provide the default GNOME theme in gnome-core please

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:41:06 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:18:46 +0000, T o n g wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 10:20:16 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>>> +5
>>>
>>> I love Clearlooks (and GNOME icon set) and had to download from
>>> upstream GNOME project in order to have it available in Squeeze :-/

I've done a bit more debugging on this matter.

I launched the squeeze VM machine and "gnome-themes" package is currently
installed, so... what I was missing? Ah, okay, it was the icon set
(Tango) that has been replaced with another one I don't like at all. But
so far, that's a different issue.

>> FYI, the request has been rejected with
>>
>> - I don’t think it is worth splitting. - need a better rationale
>> - WTF is that debian-user Cc?

> Mmm, it hasn't been rejected (at least by now). DD asks you a reason for
> achieve the change...
>
>> So I plead anyone who don't like junks in your system please follow up
>> to 598448@bugs.debian.org, and try to convince the DD.
>
> Ugh, convince developers is a hard (and consuming) task :-P
>
> Anyway, I'll add my comments to the bug (time permitting), but have no
> expectations at all.

Well, let's see. After a bit digging, I'm afraid I have to agree with DD
this time.

I guess you did not receive the "gnome-themes" packages because you
didn't pull "gnome-desktop-environment" (the latter does require "gnome-
themes") and just got the bare gnome environment (OTOH, "gnome-core"
installs only the essential components so is understandable that people
pulling this package does not want to install any other themes nor
additional "visual" schemas).

So, to recap. You better install "gnome-themes" that will only take ~2
MiB of your hard disk space and let things to stay as they are now (as
they're in the right manner, IMO).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón