Subject: Re: Garbled PDF: missing fonts?
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 22:45:12 -0400
From: Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

On 9/28/2010 6:18 AM, Camaleón wrote:
On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 16:27:44 -0500, Kumar Appaiah wrote:

All PDF viewers on Debian seem to produce garbled output. Am I
missing some fonts, or is there something else amiss?

Most surely, yes. I've got all MS TrueType fonts installed O:-)

Evince lists as used in that PDF: Arial, Garamond, Times News Roman and
Symbol.

Let me go back home and check it (on this machine, I don't have install
privileges).

No installation privileges needed. Just drop (copy/paste) all your MS
*.ttf font into your user's "~/.fonts" folder and you're done :-)

Greetings,

Because I have several Linux distros as well as WinXP on one computer, I
can search (from Linux) and find a C:\Windows\Fonts directory, with
*.ttf files, so I suppose I could copy all of these into some
Linux directory.

Looking in Debian squeeze, there are /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ and then
some subdirectories like /freefont, /dejavu /liberation, and a
couple of others, with differing numbers of fonts in each.  Dejavu
has 21 variations, the most.

Looking in Ubuntu 10.04.1 I find a /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont
directory, which seems to have 12 fonts listed, and where I suppose I
could dump the Win *.ttf.  Would this be the right place?

Looking in PCLINUXOS 2010, I find about 55 .ttf fonts in /usr/share/
fonts/webcore/ including Times, "couri" and arial.

I need more instruction.  I've been playing around with Linux
for some time, but only recently decided to get serious about it.
So, in that respect, I'm really a newbie.  So help, please.

For instance, how does a program like OOo or Thunderbird, or the
pdf reader, etc., know which subdirectory to pick its fonts from?
(That would kind of indicate where additional fonts should be
imported to.)

--doug

Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
 --A.M. Greeley