Re: Xorg error with 2.6.32-5 kernel

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 20:51:47 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> Look in directory /etc/modprobe.d for a file called i915-kms.conf.
> Look at the contents of that file.  Does it say
>
>    options i915 modeset=0
>
> If so, change the 0 to 1 and file it, then shutdown and reboot.
> If no such file exists, then create it, specifying modeset as 1.

    I hope, that this works for him, but just in case. I had different problem - after upgrading to
squeeze  X would freeze the whole computer in startup without X startup log (also Intel graphics).
Modeset support was enabled, but changing it didn't seem to have any effect. I got it working with
Vesa driver and later by building 2.6.32.22 kernel. But then that one didn't work for video playback,
so I upgraded to 2.6.33.7. It seems, that 2.6.32 lines has some major problems with integrateed
Intel graphics - at least with some of them. Just as a word of warning - if any of those problems
should appear.

--
Virgo Pärna
virgo.parna@mail.ee