A question about mixing releases

I use apt-pinning to mix stable, testing and sid. because of a bug in
Squeeze I've installed fglrx-modules-dkms from sid. Today I got an
update for my fglrx packages I noticed these were pulled in from a sid
repository. My question is the following: if  you install a package
from an unstable repository does it mean that apt/aptitude then tracks
unstable updates for that package? And is it possible to prevent a
specific package version from being updated (like package.mask in
Gentoo)? Thanks in advance