Re: Restarting Networking in Debian

On 09/22/2010 12:09 PM, Wayne Topa wrote:
On 09/22/2010 12:41 PM, Carlos Mennens wrote:
What is the deal now with 'restarting' networking services in Debian 5
&  Squeeze? I use to be able to run the command:

/etc/init.d/networking restart

Now when I do so in Debian, I get a strange error:

Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may
not enable again some interfaces ... (warning).
Reconfiguring network interfaces...done.

It has been discussed here before. You might want to go, as many do, to the list archives for the complete story. Google would have found
your answer as well

invoke-rc.d networking restart

But I'm glad it was asked here. I had noticed the same behavior several months ago, but just worked around it. I'm glad to see an answer fly by me when I wasn't looking for it.

However, when I run this command:
westk@westek:~$ sudo invoke-rc.d networking restart
[sudo] password for westk:
Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not enable again some interfaces ... (warning).
Reconfiguring network interfaces...done.

Seems like we still get a deprecation message.

And, I'm still curious about why the change, and why when something is deprecated, the coders will bother to say the instruction is deprecated but don't give any clue as to what to use instead.

I also found the /etc/init.d/foo method to be semi-intuitive, in that you just had to look in /etc/init.d to see what scripts were available to run. How am I supposed to know what to feed to invoke-rc.d? Does this take the same scripts in /etc/init.d/ as its parameter? And lastly, a ".d" at the end of a name makes me think of a directory rather than an executable; whereas I can see that the name of this executable refers to the scripts in a rc.d directory perhaps, it's not an intuitive thing, to me at least.

--
Kent West<*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com