Will Multi-Monitor work with my setup?

Off-and-on for the past two years I've had multi-display working; for the past year, nada. It worked until an update on my Sid box.

Since then, I've tried wiping my drive and reinstalling Stable, and swapping out between my three available cards.

A lot of the problem is that I don't know what's the current way to do things; I used to use Xinerama, but that's been deprecated, and the docs I've found on xRandR don't answer the questions I have, etc. Another part of the problem may be that I've got old video cards (but they used to work!!!).

Here's what I've got:

westk@westek:~$ lspci | grep VGA
00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51PV [GeForce 6150] (rev a2) 04:06.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 4000] (rev c1)

I've tried every variation of xorg.conf I can think of (nv, vesa, nouveau as the drivers; blacklisting nouveau in /etc/modules/blacklist; Xinerama on; Xinerama off; etc etc etc), and I get one of four results:

* first monitor displays a working X session (at various resolution capabilities, depending on the driver used) and the second monitor stays dark

* first monitor displays a working X session (at various resolution capabilities, depending on the driver used) and the second monitor shows the video card's splash screen but doesn't participate otherwise as an X screen.

* same as above until I open an app a half minute after the screen appears (or maybe it's just a half-minute after the screen appears) and the machine locks up hard (at console; I can still get to it via ssh usually)

* the machine locks up hard before an X screen shows (at console - I can still get to it via ssh usually)

Can anyone give me a definitive answer that this hardware will work in multi-display format?

Can anyone give me a definitive answer how to make it work?

When I get the first monitor working, I can run "xrandr -1", and the screen goes blank for 3 or 5 seconds, and then reports:

westk@westek:~$ xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 4096 x 4096
VGA-1 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 338mm x 270mm
   1280x1024      60.0*+   75.0
   1152x864       75.0
   1024x768       75.1     60.0
   800x600        75.0     60.3
   640x480        75.0     60.0
   720x400        70.1
DVI-D-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
TV-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

As far as I can tell, xrandr only sees one card, only sees one monitor.

Thanks for any help!

--
Kent West<*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com