installing a kernel on other than the current partition

Hi,

I may be all wet on this, but anyway:

I have an exterior disk attached to my laptop from another system.

On that disk I booted successfully a partition that has Debian kernel 2.6.32 installed on it.

But I want to boot yet another partition that has my homegrown kernel on it. It won't boot because of the kernel CPU parameters that have 3dnow and that will not boot on this laptop.

So I want to install a Debian kernel on that unbootable partition. But how to install a kernel on a partition that is not booted? With chroot? Is that ever done?

I can copy files over but how to run initramfs?

The 2 systems are Sid and similar except for a dist-upgrade.

Thanks

Hugo