Re: Iomega 2TB USB drive

On 9/18/2010 4:50 PM, John Lindsay wrote:

Secondly when I tried to follow the advice give to me by previous
respondents I 'lost' Kingston USB stick display. The only way I can get
it to show up is to select an earlier boot option. How do I 'delete' the
first boot option or at least move the last option to the top of the list.

Edit your GRUB options. Which options depends on whether you are using GRUB legacy or GRUB2.

 is
'permissions' a possible cause of my problem?

Conceivably.

Also looking at /mnt shows
'root' can access files only, group is root without access and others
have no access. chmod 700 /mnt says 'read only file system' ls -ld /mnt
shows

dr-x------ 1 root root 4096 2010-09-17 08:53 /mnt

You *might* want chmod 777 while troubleshooting, and then possibly something like 755 depending on your needs later.

700 locks normal users out.

The order goes user, group, world

If root is the owner, then non-root can't read, write, or execute from that directory. In fact, just doing an ls inside a directory requires execute privileges on that directory.

700 for owner root is probably not what you want.