[solved] Re: rsync issue

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:

>> In rsync manual I coudn't find a solution to what I want.  I wish to copy
>> all my home directory into another machine with the --delete option, but:
>>
>> 1) I dont't want hidden files, i.e.: `.*' to be copied;
>>
>> 2) on the other hand, there are some symlinks, beginning with `.', that I
>>    want to be copied.
>>
>> The --exclude option won't help.
>>
>> From my home directory, if I do:
>>
>>  $ rsync -vrtul --delete * 192.168.0.2:/home/rodolfo
>>
>> , hidden files that are in `~/' are not copied at all nor the --delete
>> option applies to files that are in `~/', so it's not good; from /home, if I
>> do:
>>
>>  $ rsync -vrtul --delete rodolfo 192.168.0.2:/home
>>
>> , everything is copied, also system hidden directories and files, which I
>> don't want.
>

> I mean, I want hidden files to be copied, except than
> those in `~/': of those, i.e. of the hidden files in `~/', I just want the
> symlinks to be copied.

Thanks to Rob and Karl for their help.  The following seems to work:

 $ rsync -vrtul --delete --exclude='rodolfo/.*' rodolfo 192.168.0.2:/home

, and I'll create the symlinks by hand.  Maybe there's a better solution: I
wish the `delete' option worked also for files and not only for directories,
but in rsync manual couldn't find that.

Rodolfo