Re: Updating files in /etc Remotely (and automated)

I agree with Jesús. This is a far more elegant and scalable solution, though my experience is with cfengine [1]. This allows you to use svn or cvs to manage the master files, check out the files to your workstation, make changes and commit, and depending on how you have it set up, have the changes automatically propagated. There are actually several similar packages (cfengine => perl-ish, bcfg2 => python-ish, puppet => ruby-on-rails-ish, etc.) They all have the same goal in mind, convergence of system configurations, loosely referred to as configuration management.

--b

[1] http://www.cfengine.org

2010/9/13 Jesús M. Navarro <jesus.navarro@undominio.net>
Hi, Hal:

On Saturday 11 September 2010 23:15:50 Hal Vaughan wrote:
> I will be working with a server on the Internet that uses rsync and is
> running Debian.  I will be setting up initial /etc/rsyncd.conf and
> /etc/rsyncd.secrets files on it.  But along the way, whenever a new user is
> added, they'll need to be updated.  I can use ssh on this system, but, of
> course, I don't want to allow root access.
>
> I'd like to be able to have these files updated automatically when I add a
> new user to another system.  I could create new copies of the files
> locally, where the users are added and use scp to copy them to a directory
> on the server.  But that's where there are problems.  How can I chown the
> files to root, copy them to /etc, and chmod as needed for rsync to use them
> automatically?

I know that's not what you specifically asked for, but thinking a bit
out-of-the-box, what you have is a need to remotely configure a machine from
a "central" information repository.

Have you though about using Puppet*1 for that?

*1 http://www.puppetlabs.com

Cheers.