Re: Simplest and cheapest RAID

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 16:14:53 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> How practical is to create a simplest and cheapest RAID, using 2
> partitions on the same disk, combining them as a RAID drive?
>
> By "practical" I meant,
>
> - I would assume less than 0.000001% people would do that so I can't
> find any documents.
>
> - Having 2 partitions might not give me much advantage in safety, so the
> pay off is pity comparing to the hoops that I need to jump through.
>
> As you can see, I'm still "scared" about this "complicated" RAID thing.
>
> Any comments or inputs?

Mmm, I fail to see what is the purpose of such RAID, just as an
experiment? :-?

What are your goals? With 2 disks, having a raid0/rai1 has sense when
using different devices but not the same... unless you just want to
combine them for creating a big spool/volume (JBOD), in which case, LVM
should fit better your needs.

I think more information is required :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón