Re: HP LaserJet 5L - cannot print postscript from cmd line

On 2010-09-15 22:38:02 +0100, michael wrote:
> Folks, I've tried and tried but have failed to get my HP LaserJet 5L,
> connected by parallel port, to print postscript from the command line.
> It will print a page from say iceweasel but just isn't having
>  lpr test.ps
> do the expected thing - rather it prints out the postscript file line by
> line by line.
>
> This is under Debian Lenny (amd64) on a new build on my SATA HDD. Irony
> is I did have it working on Lenny (amd64) previously with my old IDE
> HDD. I've compared the two but can't see what differs.
>
> I'm not quite sure what info is best to send, but hopefully the below
> will help. All help appreciated. Thanks, Michael

I do not know super-much about this issue, but I have one small
idea. Maybe you had some packages installed on your old system that
are not present on your new system?

For example, today I was looking at the package "foomatic-filters".
The description for that package sounds like what you want to do:
convert .ps into code that can be used by your printer.

Just an idea,

Phil