Re: How to use -dbg packages (and specifically libncurses5-dbg) ?

On 2010-09-15 12:23 +0200, Frédéric Boiteux wrote:

>   I'm trying to debug an own C program which dumps a core, inside libncurses5 library.
> I'd like to use gdb to debug my program, and so I've installed -dbg packages :
> libc6-dbg, libncurses5-dbg, libstdc++-6.4.3-dbg (on a Debian Lenny system), but if the libc6's
> debug package is used by gdb, the libncurses5-dbg seems to be skipped :
> [...]
>
> Does I have to redo the compilation before to test my program with libncurses5-dbg debug library ?

No, but you have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/debug so that the
debug version of libncurses5 is picked up.

> Or is there something I forgot ?

Not really, the problem is that libncurses5-dbg ships a special debug
version of the library and no detached debugging symbols, unlike other
-dbg packages.  This is fixed in Squeeze, though.

Sven