Re: Why can't ID3 tags be modified in GNOME file's properties?

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:
Hi,

For mp3 files, one generally needs to use a tag editor, or an advanced
music player to modify ID3 tags. However, ID3 tags can be displayed by
GNOME using Properties > Audio on the selected file. But they can't be
edited. Why is there no such option?

Since the headers/ID3 tags in mp3s use different formats (2.3 or 2.4, unicode or western, etc.) why would you _not_ want a special program to make sure the file header is written properly and to the format you specify?  Short of having a program such as kid3-qt embedded in the nautilius/file browser context (right click) menu, for example, I wouldn't trust it just like I don't trust Windows Explorer to modify the ID3 tags.  If something like an embedded kid3-qt menu within GNOME is what you're suggesting then I think it's an interesting idea and would put it light years ahead of Windows for that function.

Sorry, not much of an answer but you did get my brain juices flowing with your question...

Mark