Re: exim4 problem delivering locally

On 13/09/10 03:40, Mumia W wrote:
Hello. I've configured exim 4.72 in Debian Squeeze to send mail externally though a "smarthost," but now local sending of mail doesn't work as I expect.

My machine is host-1.mydomain.local. How do I get exim to send all mail for *.mydomain.local to host-1.mydomain.local?  In other words, I want mail for mumia@mydomain.local to go to mumia@host-1.mydomain.local.

How is this done?

PS.
I'm hoping to be able to do this without setting up a name-server locally, because I've never done that before, and I could mess things up even more.

You should be able to deal with that situation with the exim4 mini-wizard, try 'dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config'. Or you can edit the file produced by that program, /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf (not a mistype) and /etc/mailname and run update-exim4.conf as suggested in the configuration file. This wizard will have run at the installation of exim4, but it can be re-run as required.

If you do run the wizard, save a backup copy of the file first, in case you end up worse off than you started. Also, have a look at man update-exim4.conf.conf first, which will also help if you are using the wizard. The questions asked are not all intuitive to someone not familiar with networked email.

Is exim4 handling mail for your local 'domain' and also a public email domain? Microsoft recommends using a 'local' or other unrouteable top level domain, but Linux does not use the same kind of domain concept, it's workstations are not 'members' of anything (unless you get really fancy with samba and Kerberos..). Exim4 need be told only about the public email domain, but can have the 'local' one listed as an additional final destination for mail (dc_other_hostnames). Make sure mydomain.local is *not* listed among the relay domains, and that /etc/mailname contains the mail domain name only, not the mail server's FQDN.

A local DNS server/cache is not required (and you need to tell the wizard if there isn't one, or set dc_minimaldns='true'), but if you are receiving mail by SMTP, using one will greatly improve spam rejection. If dc_minimaldns is false, exim4 will check for a PTR/A record pair based on the sender's IP address, and this eliminates almost all spam from compromised home computers. Don't use a low-cost router as DNS server unless you have been assured that it is up to the job, as many are not. I once had a router which could not find AOL's MX record, though it returned all the others for the domain, and nearly all other MX records.

--
Joe