Re: [SOLVED] detect ethernet card?

On Friday 10 September 2010 11:54:57 pm Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 16:33:11 -0400 (EDT), atucelulis@googlemail.com wrote:
> > On Friday 10 September 2010 10:10:22 am Geoff Simmons wrote:
> >> Support for the 82567LM-3 (PCI ID 8086:10de) was added to the e1000e
> >> driver in linux-2.6 2.6.26-25, which is part of the recent[1] Debian
> >> Lenny point release (5.0.6).
> >>
> >> upgrade your system to 5.0.6.
> >>
> >> An interface for this network device should become available once your
> >> system is restarted with the updated kernel.
> >
> > That worked. Problem solved. Thank you very much!
> >
> > I still don't have e1000e or e1000 in /etc/modules, but since the
> > problem is solved, that should not matter any more.
>
> As a general rule, kernel modules which function as a device driver
> for a piece of hardware do not need to be listed (and should not be
> listed) in /etc/modules.
> They will be loaded automatically by udev if the kernel module has
> an alias which matches the id of the piece of hardware.

Thanks for the info Steven. I like this approach of not needing to know which driver module to use and instead let the kernel pick it.

I wonder why the original error message ("SIOCSIFADDR" and so on) had to be so cryptic though. Couldn't it just have said "No support for this ethernet chip (yet)"? That would have made it easier to see that upgrading could help.