RE: NetworkManager & Bridging devices

Fri, 10 Sep 2010 23:14:41 +0200 <nfs_2010@chubig.net> wrote:

> Good evening,
>
> I’m using NetworkManager to automatically connect to a number of wifi
> networks as well as to ethernet networks at home and in university.
> I’m also using the dispatcher to run custom scripts depending on the
> network to which the computer just connected.
>
> Now it would be nice if I could put the wifi interface (Intel
> Wireless 4965) and the ethernet interface in one bridge, so that both
> devices get the same IP addresses and I could "roam" between wifi and
> ethernet by dynamically disabling one of them, with my connections
> persisting.
>
> Is something like this possible? I tried to manually create a bridge
> and set up the interfaces, but I seem to be unable to add wlan0 to
> the bridge, it just tells me that the operation is “not permitted”.

I understand that the upsteam project NetworkManager is working on adding network bridge support.

The last ETA I read was late 2010 from there website [1] ... I was just wondering if anyone knew this was still the case.

Network bridging support would be very useful to me for running Xen on my Debian system.

[1] http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/

-M