Re: SSH & Rsync issues

On Sep 10, 2010, at 8:14 AM, Rob Owens wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 06:01:55PM -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:
>> In short:
>>
>> I have ssh set up on two systems so I can ssh from one to the other.  My id_rsa.pub in ~/.ssh on my system is copied into ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote system.  I can ssh from local to remote with no issue and it's configured so authentication does not use passwords, but uses the RSA ID.  This works perfectly.  "ssh remote" gets me logged in immediately.
>>
>> I can rsync to the other machine.  Using "rsync localfile tnet-web::threshNet-Public" works fine and the file is transferred.  BUT when I try to use rsync over ssh, it will NOT work

>> Any suggestions?
>>
> I think you are mixing/confusing the 2 rsync methods.  One is the rsyncd
> daemon.  To rsync to an rsyncd daemon, you use two colons after the
> hostname, like this
>
> rsync localfile tnet-web::threshNet-Public
>
> This tranfers everything in the clear.  Last I checked, there was no
> built-in method to transfer over ssh using the daemon.  You could set up
> an SSL or SSH tunnel to do that.
>

> The other method of using rsync is with a single colon, like this
>
> rsync localfile tnet-web:threshNet-Public
>
> This automatically uses ssh for transfer, but it requires a few things.
>
> 1)  your user must have an account on tnet-web
> 2)  threshNet-Public is a folder inside your user's home directory on
> tnet-web
> 3)  it does not require an rsyncd.conf file, and doesn't look at it even
> if you have one.
>

> Hope that helps.

Yes, that clarifies it.  I was not aware of the one colon vs. the two colon situation at all and it makes a lot of sense.

But that still leaves the "--rsh=ssh" option as a question.  From reading the man pages, I was thinking that would make rsync use ssh, but nothing I've done made it work.

I've decided to encrypt the files before syncing them so they won't be sent in the clear and to use passwords on rsync.  Since a number of different client systems will use this setup, I don't want them all having ssh keys or access to the system through ssh in case of a break-in.

Thank you.  You've cleared up a LOT for me.

Hal