IPv6 and timing oddities

Hi,

I'm not sure if this issue has been covered here before since I don't subscribe to debian-users.

Anyway, it seems that the recent minor release upgrade for lenny may have uncovered some timing issues that were not present beforehand. My inet6 configurations in /etc/network/interfaces were not working anymore for most of the machines running lenny that I oversee. There were a couple of machines that were still working correctly. These two machines were quite old and quite slow. One ran at a clock speed of 233.299 MHz and the other was a slug running at its original factory clock speed (33MHz?? /proc/cpuinfo doesn't say). All other faster machines including an overclocked slug were not configuring correctly. Also, the sysctl.conf settings for ipv6 were not going through.

All of the non-configuring machines would configure manually for IPv6 after coming up. The same holds for the sysctl kernel settings.

It seems that there is a timing situation with the ipv6 kernel module that is happening here. After explicitly loading the module at startup via the /etc/modules file, all was working correctly.

All was also working okay prior to this recent upgrade that involved a kernel upgrade (same version).

-jeff