Re: bashrc, bash_profile, /etc/skel/ - Debian Squeeze

Csanyi Pal:

> When I installed 64bit Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze, I used my $HOME
> directory with it's dot files too.
>
> So, I think the .bashrc and .bash_profile remain in the state in which
> was on Gentoo.

Yes, that's how it should be. Debian package managers must never touch
anything under /home.

> Now I have the empty /etc/skel/ directory!

Check with ls -la.

> I try to reinstall bash, but still get not in my $HOME directory the
> "debianized" .bashrc and .bash_profile,

This is by design. Debian never overwrites user files.

> and still the /etc/skel/ directory is empty. What should I reinstall
> to get the default /etc/skel/ directory?

What do you need that for? It is only used when you create new users.

J.
--
Driving behind lorries carrying hazardous chemicals makes me wish for a
simpler life.