Re: Why doesn't aptitude warn on removing recommended packages?

In <[🔎] 20100906032448.GB5704@thyme.bj.intel.com>, Li, Yan wrote:
>The problem I want to say is that busybox is `recommended' by
>initramfs-tools, but when I tried to remove it aptitude didn't issue a
>single warning. I'm not sure whether this is a good behavior, but at
>least I want to configure my aptitude so that it warns me when I'm
>trying to remove a recommended package. Any option is there to achieve
>this?

Not that I know of.  There is an option to not *automatically* remove
recommended packages (Aptitude::Keep-Recommends), but that is on by default.

If you explicitly request a package be removed, aptitude assumes you want to
do that -- and will even remove other packages that would have broken
"hard"/"strong" dependencies (Conflicts/Depends) unsatisfied.

Aptitude will also propose solutions that involve removing recommended
packages, but it weights these as badly as removing any other package.