RE: Locked up Gnome

I had a similar experience with Lenny. It turned out that the USB hubs mouse
and keyboard are connected to were shut down somehow. I didn't even have the
caps or num lock leds working. For some power saving reasons I assume. I
could still login from a remote host and restart the usb drivers by:

# rmmod uhci_hcd
# rmmod ehci_hcd
# modprobe ehci_hcd
# modprobe uhci_hcd