Re: SMART errors on new, unpartitioned disk

David Baron wrote:
> Device: /dev/sdc [SAT], 1 Offline uncorrectable sectors
> Sep  5 19:54:33 dovidhalevi smartd[6914]: Device: /dev/sdc [SAT], 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
> Sep  5 19:54:33 dovidhalevi smartd[6914]: Device: /dev/sdc [SAT], 1 Offline uncorrectable sectors
> Is this disk OK, legit errors for non partitioned, not formatted new disk or
> is this a problem, possibly in BIOS? This is a 1 terrabyte disk.

This does not look good.  Looks like a bad drive.

I would run both short and long self tests and see the results from
it.  First look to see if any errors are already logged.

  # smartctl -H /dev/sdc

  # smartctl -l selftest /dev/sdc

  # smartctl -a /dev/sdc | less

Then after observing the results already logged:

  # smartctl -t short /dev/sdc
  # sleep 120
  # smartctl -l selftest /dev/sdc

Then depending upon that I would run a long test.

  # smartctl -t long /dev/sdc
  # sleep $((60*20)) # as long as needed for long self test to complete
  # smartctl -l selftest /dev/sdc

I don't hold out much hope.  I expect there to be errors in the
selftest log.  In which case I would say that the drive is bad and
replace it as soon as possible.

Bob