Re (3): Configuration for a Linux router with a client having a public address

From:	Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
Date:	Fri, 03 Sep 2010 23:45:50 -0600
> ... carnot is already on the public internet
> with 142.103.107.138?

OK, we've discussed two distinct configurations and
that wasn't clear.  Friday I reinstated the old configuration
and checked just now that carnot is still running.
  Click here ==> http://142.103.107.138/ .
If you don't get the home page, the most likely explanation
is disk drive failure.

> I thought that you had it on a private network
> and were trying to tunnel it onto the public internet.

That was the recent investigative configuration.

In the old configuration, http://142.103.107.138/ connected
through the AT 3612TR was accessible to the public from 2002
until a few months ago.  I shut it down a few months back
because the disk drives were failing.  Powered it up again
Friday, but a drive might fail any time.

For years I've had a private network with Dalton routing
connectivity to Cantor.  My objective in the past week
was to consider whether the AT 3612TR can be eliminated with
routing through Dalton.  The private subnet to Carnot is
incidental to my study of how the objective might be reached.

> And of course carnot isn't on the diagram so I feel I am just missing
> the mark here.

Carnot and the AT 3612TR being absent from the diagram is
a bad deficiency.  I'll add them on Tuesday or Wednesday
when back at work.  The AT 3612TR is between dalton and the
Internet.  Carnot is connected to the AT 3612TR beside
Dalton.

> What is carnot's first card's address and which wire is it hooked to?

It has only one interface.  In the old configuration the
address is 142.103.107.138 and it is connected to the AT 3612TR.

> If carnot is already on 142.103.107.138 then why does it need a
> private address ...

The primary objective is find whether the AT 3612TR can be
eliminated by routing through dalton.  The private subnet
to Carnot was part of my study of whether and how this
objective might be reached.  Typically, a Linux router
has private subnets.

> ... and what looks like an openvpn point to point link
> between it [carnot] and dalton?

As you said a little earlier, carnot is not on the diagram.
The tunnel is between dalton and joule and has no relevance
to my present objective.  The scanned image from a penciled
sketch isn't good but zooming bigger will help.  In iceweasel
left click.

> No wire?  Then why have it [second Ethernet adapter]?

In the previous message I asked whether and how carnot could
have two addresses.  A second interface seems an obvious
possibility.

> Simply add the other address.
>   up ip addr add 192.168.1.100/24 brd 192.168.1.255 dev eth0 label eth0:0

That's easy but not obvious; thanks!  I'd guess it's documented
or described somewhere but not in interfaces.man.

> ... It enables two different subnets to co-exist on the same wire. ...

That idea helps.  I thought of another question, probably
more directly relevant to my objective.  Will post it
with subject "Linux hub".

Thanks,                 ... Peter E.

--
VoIP 7785886232 is gone.  Please use 13604502132.
Shop pages http://carnot.yi.org/ accessible as long as the old