Disappearing mouse

Hello, all.  We are experiencing a problem where the mouse cursor
disappears.  The mouse is still functioning and, if one can figure out
where it is, mouse clicks still work.  It is very sporadic but regular
enough to not be our imagination or some weird anomaly.  We also have a
somewhat difficult environment to troubleshoot.

We are running Lenny with several packages from Lenny-Backports and
Squeeze.  The desktops are running in VServer guests using kernel 2.6.27
and are delivered to Windows users via X2Go which uses Xming for
presentation (so lots of moving pieces).  xorg is 7.3+20 using the dummy
driver.

We first thought it was a problem with the NX libraries.  Then we
suspected Xming.  However, we noticed that it always(?) seemed to occur
when running rdesktop.  An extensive search of "rdesktop lose mouse"
showed a long running problem mostly recorded in Ubuntu.  It involved
several other applications besides rdesktop.

There seemed to be no definitive diagnosis.  There were also many
varieties.  Most could see the mouse cursor but click events were being
lost.  Some were more like ours.  The more informed reports suspected
the kernel (specifically 2.6.27) or xorg.  Various workarounds to
recover (other than rebooting or restarting X) were suggested but no
real solutions.

Has anyone experienced this in Debian? Is there a definitive cause and,
more importantly, a real solution? Thanks - John