problems with cpufreq utils

Hi

I am having problems on my media box, it used to be able to play hd
stuff easily, recently it has been having problems.

I believe I have tracked down the problem to cpufreq-utils.

analyzing CPU 3:
  driver: powernow-k8
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 3
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 3
  maximum transition latency: 8.0 us.
  hardware limits: 800 MHz - 3.00 GHz
  available frequency steps: 3.00 GHz, 2.30 GHz, 1.80 GHz, 800 MHz
  available cpufreq governors: powersave, conservative, userspace,
ondemand, performance
  current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 3.00 GHz.
                  The governor "performance" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency is 800 MHz (asserted by call to hardware).
  cpufreq stats: 3.00 GHz:89.00%, 2.30 GHz:0.02%, 1.80 GHz:0.07%, 800
MHz:10.91%  (3833)

I have tried setting the governor to performance and when I did this
before this line would be different
>>  current CPU frequency is 800 MHz (asserted by call to hardware).

I have tried setting the governor to userspace and setting
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed

the line stays the same, the stats go up for the rite hz, but I don't
think I am getting the performance I should be :(

Alex