Re: How to resume USB hubs

What about looking or turn to defaults your bios?

On 02/09/10 23:10, Gero Putzar wrote:
Hi,

when I tried to log in to my computer today, I realized that the usb ports
are not working anymore, therefore I've got no keyboard and no mouse
anymore. Logging in via ssh, I checked that besides that everything seems to
be running fine.

I googled around a bit and assume that the built in usb hubs (there seem to
be 4 or 5 of them) shut down maybe as a power saving feature. Does anyone
have an idea how to wake them up again?

If I plug in anything into one of the usb ports the /var/log/messages
doesn't show the usual message that the kernel recognized a new usb device.

I tried to write to the /sys/bus/usb/... files but unfortunately:
# echo on>  /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-0\:1.0/power/level
bash: /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-0:1.0/power/level: No such file or directory

Is there a way to reset the usb hubs or to reinitialise the corresponding
kernel drivers or whatever deals with it? (I cannot reboot the computer at
the moment.) I tried:
# modprobe usbcore
FATAL: Module usbcore not found.

... and again without success:
# /etc/init.d/udev restart

I'm running the current Debian Lenny on a HP desktop with the standard Gnome
desktop.

Thanks, Gero.

I attached some output of how I tried to figure out the reason. Mouse and
keyboard were connected (via an external hub in the monitor) but that does
not seem to matter.

# ls /sys/bus/usb/devices
1-0:1.0  2-0:1.0  3-0:1.0  4-0:1.0  5-0:1.0  usb1  usb2  usb3  usb4  usb5
# ls -R /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-0\:1.0/
/sys/bus/usb/devices/1-0:1.0/:
bAlternateSetting   bInterfaceSubClass	ep_81	   uevent
bInterfaceClass     bNumEndpoints	modalias
usb_endpoint:usbdev1.1_ep81
bInterfaceNumber    bus			power
bInterfaceProtocol  driver		subsystem

/sys/bus/usb/devices/1-0:1.0/power:
wakeup

# cat /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-0\:1.0/power/wakeup

# echo enable>  /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-0\:1.0/power/wakeup
bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument
# lsusb
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

# lsusb -v -s 1:

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Device Descriptor:
   bLength                18
   bDescriptorType         1
   bcdUSB               1.10
   bDeviceClass            9 Hub
   bDeviceSubClass         0 Unused
   Configuration Descriptor:
     bLength                 9
     bDescriptorType         2
     wTotalLength           25
     bNumInterfaces          1
     bConfigurationValue     1
     iConfiguration          0
     bmAttributes         0xe0
       Self Powered
       Remote Wakeup
     MaxPower                0mA
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        0
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           1
       bInterfaceClass         9 Hub
       bInterfaceSubClass      0 Unused
       bInterfaceProtocol      0 Full speed (or root) hub
       iInterface              0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
         bmAttributes            3
           Transfer Type            Interrupt
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0002  1x 2 bytes
         bInterval             255
Hub Descriptor:
   bLength               9
   bDescriptorType      41
   nNbrPorts             2
   wHubCharacteristic 0x000a
     No power switching (usb 1.0)
     Per-port overcurrent protection
   bPwrOn2PwrGood        1 * 2 milli seconds
   bHubContrCurrent      0 milli Ampere
   DeviceRemovable    0x00
   PortPwrCtrlMask    0xff
  Hub Port Status:
    Port 1: 0000.0100 power
    Port 2: 0000.0100 power
Device Status:     0x0003
   Self Powered
   Remote Wakeup Enabled

   "You don't know where your shadow will fall",
        Somebody.-
 Ing. Olaf Reitmaier Veracierta<olafrv@gmail.com>
 Personal Web Page -- http://olafrv.com -- info@olafrv.com