Re: What's the Debian way of disabling suspend to disk?

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Jo, 02 sep 10, 07:39:09, Camaleón wrote:
> > Amount of ram should not be a relevant key value for benefiting of
> > hibernation.
>
> Unless there's something I'm missing, copying the contents of the RAM to
> HDD and back heavily depends on the total data available in RAM, which
> tends to be higher depending on the total size of the RAM.

It also depends on whether you drop file-backed pages or not, etc.

> This is why on systems with lots of RAM there is no gain in speed by
> hibernating vs. restarting + session saving.

The hybernation image is compressed and stored as single file or inside
the swap partition.  Accessing that can be a LOT faster than the
accesses during doing boot (unless SSDs are involved).

That said, I don't trust hybernation.  Your data is much safer in the
long run if you restrain yourself to suspend-to-RAM and shutdowns.

  Henrique Holschuh