Re: Upgrade to latest Inkscape

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 04:59, John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> I want to upgrade to latest Inkscape 0.48.0 To that end I did a net
> install of Debian and ended up with Lenny and Inkscape 0.46. Two
> questions:
> 1. What release of Debian is likely to get Inkscape 0.48 first?

Unstable has 0.47, experimental has 0.48

Backports seems not to have it.

> 2. How do I upgrade to that release?

Change /etc/apt/sources.list so that it says unstable instead of
stable or lenny,
then do "aptitude update; aptitude dist-upgrade".  Then add lines that point to
experimental (add to, not replace; experimental only has a few packages of it's
own, the rest must come from unstable). Then you need to explicitly select
inkscape 0.48 (I recommend aptitude in interactive mode), as a regular
aptitude upgrade will not pull in experimental packages.

Or you might want to upgrade to testing first, then to
unstable/experimental. In
any case, unstable is pretty calm right now, due to the freeze, so there
shouldn't be too many issues.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

You shouldn't do it like this. If you do, you very well may end up with an unstable system. Upgrade to testing by the instructions I gave you, and then backport this package to testing from experimental.

a) put experimental deb-src only in your sources.list
b) update aptitude
c) apt-get build-dep inkscape (or whatever the package name is)
d) apt-get -b source inkscape
e) install resulting inkscape deb

Also, do this: echo 'APT::Default-Release "testing";' >> /etc/apt.conf

ciao
James S.