Re: Get a list of obsoleted packages

In <[🔎] 201008281043.22026.alain.baeckeroot@laposte.net>, Alain Baeckeroot wrote:

>> > Well, similar to the last definition is "orphan".  I'm not sure if that
>> > is what's been looked for...  In that case, I suggest "deborphan".
>
>What is your problem here ?
>one the one hand you ask for advices for choosing tools like a newbie

Newbies are not the only ones can can get use out of new tools.  Even experts
should be comfortable enough to ask questions; no one knows everything.  I
feel very comfortable using aptitude and there are very specific features
(like this one) that I don't know how to reproduce in with the apt tools.

>on the other hand you seems to know them rather well and need precise
>details, but you don't read the documentation.

No, rather, I've read the documentation and I *still* don't think apt can do
this simply.

The aptitude UI displays obsolete packages by default.  The aptitude command-
line for showing them is simple: (aptitude search '?obsolete').  Viewing one
results of "apt-cache policy" on one of these packages gives an idea of how
aptitude is finding them; they only have one available version:
/var/lib/dpkg/status a.k.a. "now".  Still, apt-cache and the other apt tools
don't seem to have a way to search for packages based on their lack of
available versions that I can find.

So, let me ask the question again, more clearly:  What is the apt equivalent
of aptitude's (aptitude search '?obsolete')?