Re: Mixing apt-get and aptitude

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 08:51:29AM -0500, Tom Browder wrote:
> Aside, can you post another blog (or another thread here) about why
> you use both Ubuntu and Debian?

http://pthree.org/2009/02/19/server-migration-from-ubuntu-804-to-debian-50/

Long story short- Debian does a better job at package quality assurance
and bug fixing BEFORE release than Ubuntu, which does a great deal of it
afterwards. If you want a server, I would only trust Debian stable and
CentOS to power my data.

For the desktop, I see no reason why Debian GNU/Linux doesn't fit the
bill either. I have it installed on a workstation, two laptops, a
netbook and a virtual machine, all without any headache (there is an
annoyance with the netbook, actually, but minor).

The only reason I can see usuing Ubuntu is if you like the direction
they are taking with their operating system (UbuntuOne, MeMenu,
notifications, etc). In terms of hardware, I don't have any additional
problems getting Debian installed, with everything working out of the
box, than Ubuntu.

--
. O .   O . O   . . O   O . .   . O .
. . O   . O O   O . O   . O O   . . O