Re: Lockups in Xorg with Radeon HD 3450 and different drivers

Nick Lidakis <nlidakis@verizon.net>:
>  On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 02:13:08AM +0200, Thomas Amm wrote:
> > Am 24.06.2010 20:06, schrieb Nick Lidakis:
> > >
> > > I figured, these days, getting to a 2d desktop with a 2 year old
> > > video card would not cause a machine to lock hard. Although,I am
> > > on unstable. You pays your money and you takes your chances...
> >
> > while avoiding cairo tured out to be the least of all evils.
>
>  No 3d anything. startx from command line.

Tried fluxbox?  I've been fighting with new distros and old machines
lately.  Lenny + fluxbox and Mint + fluxbox work really nicely in
comparison to (eg.) ELive.  This's on both desktop and laptops, P-IV
2.4 Ghz and Celeron 2 GHz.  Find 'em on distrowatch.com