Re: 2.6.34 Will Not Boot

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 05:58:11 -0400 (EDT), d baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:

> I made changes recommended by replies to my original message since I have
> no idea what the drive's /dev files will be called on the new system.
> Low and behold, I get the error on booting both older 2.6.32 and new
> 2.6.34 kernels! It starts to boot up just fine but then panics at the root
> device which it cannot find.
>
> Since my knoppix disc does not have lvm, I cannot fix it.
> No Debian right now :-(
>
> What can I do? (Writing this from the old knoppix 3.4 from
> a web-mail interface.)

This has happened to me before, usually because of a mistake in a
critical system file.  What I do is use the Debian install CD
in rescue mode and get a into a shell with the normal root file
system mounted as root.  Then you have to figure out what went
wrong.  If you can find the logs from your previous boot attempt,
that will be helpful.  In particular, look at the kernel parameters
line to see what was passed to the kernel as root.  Make sure that
the syntax is correct for all the changes you made.

You did run "update-initramfs -u" after making your changes, didn't
you?  And you did make sure that lilo got re-run, didn't you?
(I'm pretty sure that a change to /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
requires re-building the initial RAM file system.  If you didn't
change that file, then you wouldn't necessarily have to rebuild
your initial RAM file system.  But rerunning lilo after changing
/etc/lilo.conf is a must.)

There is something about the above post that bothers me though.

"I have no idea what the drive's /dev files will be called
on the new system."

What new system?  Are you planning on removing the disk drive
and installing it in another computer, then assuming that it
will boot?  Or do you really mean "when running the new kernel".

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :