static compile unable to find gnutls dev files

I was wondering if anybody could help me figure out a problem with static compiling:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

srv01:/usr/src/msmtp-1.4.21# LDFLAGS=-static ./configure --prefix=/usr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

srv01:/usr/src/msmtp-1.4.21# CFLAGS=-I/usr/include CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/lib LDFLAGS=--static ./configure --prefix=/usr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

checking for libgnutls... no
configure: WARNING: Cannot find GNU TLS, disabling
checking for libssl... no
configure: WARNING: Cannot find OpenSSL, disabling
configure: WARNING: Neither GNU TLS nor OpenSSL found, disabling TLS/SSL support
checking for libgsasl... no
configure: WARNING: Cannot find GNU SASL, disabling
checking for libidn... no
configure: WARNING: Cannot find GNU Libidn, disabling
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating build-aux/Makefile
config.status: creating gnulib/Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating po/Makefile.in
config.status: creating doc/Makefile
config.status: creating scripts/Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: executing po-directories commands
config.status: creating po/POTFILES
config.status: creating po/Makefile

Install prefix ......... : /usr/local
TLS/SSL support ........ : no (Library: none)
GNU SASL support ....... : no
GNU Libidn support ..... : no
NLS support ............ : yes
GNOME Keyring support .. : no
MacOS X Keychain support : no

srv01:/usr/src/msmtp-1.4.21# aptitude show libgnutls-dev
Package: libgnutls-dev
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 2.4.2-6+lenny2
Section: libdevel

I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on. I don't usually static compile but in this case I decided to try out the new PHP 5.3.3 with CHROOT and CHDIR which requires me to static compile msmtp (or sendmail but lets be realistic about a full static compile on an MTA for a shared server) so that users don't have to rely solely on SMTP (we use smart hosting with msmtp ~ which again is unrealistic for a shared environment.) My only other solution is to manually CHROOT the entire server, however, I'm trying to avoid such a situation at this time since it would just decrease my reasons to switch to 5.3.3 when 5.4 is right around the corner.