Verbatim 1TB external HDD

I have been asked to set this HDD up as a backup device on a Lenny system.  It
will primarily be used for photographs and personal files.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-Desktop-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B0017422EA

It is currently formatted "To" and FAT32.

What would people recommend in this situation?  Reformat or use FAT32?  And if
reformat, to what?  I think that his slightly aged computer would probably
blow a gasket if asked to use ext4, so am wondering about ext3.

Any other comments/experience on/of this particular piece of hardware would be
greatly valued.  I have read some online reviews and am not reassured.

As of now, I am intending to clone (dd?  Clonezilla?) the internal HDD onto it
and then show the user how to copy and paste new files onto it as he goes
along, with me syncing the whole thing periodically.  Since I will not be
there most of the time, this strikes me as simple and workable.  But anacron
may also be a possibility.

Any caveats?  Any comments?  This, of course, similar to the problem with my
granddaughter's computer, with the important difference that this not a
slightly stroppy teenager, but a retired man who is cooperative and willing
to learn, but fairly computer naive.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Lisi