Re: what is the difference between w95 FAT32 and w95 FAT32 (LBA)

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 09:33:16PM -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> While running cfdisk, it lists various file system types. Is there a
> document which explains the difference between similar file systems?
>
> In particular, if I want to have a windows XP type of filesystem, do I go
> with "07 HPFS/NTFS" or "86 NTFS volume set" or "87 NTFS volume set"?
>
> Similarly, If I want to create FAT32 partition so that I can exchange files
> between windows and Linux, should I go with "0B W95 FAT32" or ""w95 FAT32"
> "w95 FAT32 (LBA)"
>
> What are the advantages in choosing one over the other? I tried to google,
> /usr/share/doc/util-linux etc., but could not find anything useful.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch10.en.html#_removable_storage_device

This should give you much of required information.

By the way, did you google on wikipedia?

<some words ...> site:wikipedia.org

This is generally good place to get good list of well reviewd information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning