Re: 2.34 Kernel Won't Boot

On Friday 20 August 2010 10:04:54 David Baron wrote:
> I built this kernel for first time with new PATA rather than the old
> deprecated drivers. These are compiled-in, no initrd. Get cannot find block
> error, [2,22] or something like that.
>
> Possibilities:
> 1. Need to compile in VIA's driver as well. Not doing this prevented DMA
> access using  deprecated drivers a while back. I am doing this kernel for a
> new MB, not VIA chipset. Module is built.
>
> 2. New drivers assign different dev names. Need to change to newer name
> scheme in lilo.conf. If so, this will wait for new machine since this will
> render older kernel builds unusable. Current MB is an older IDE-based
> machine. The new MB will be SATA but has an IDE as well (and there are
> those adapters that plug in to the old disks to make them work like SATA).
>
> 3. Do not use 2.6.34. Has apparently been abandoned?
>
> Can anyone tell me what to do? (I hope the older kernels will boot on the
> new MB.) Thanks in advance.

Googling found the second alternative. The new sda names are for ALL hard
disks, SATA, IDE, SCSI, no matter.

So there seems to be no way to keep the two variations, i.e. kernels using the
deprecated and the new PATA around. fstab must use the /dev/sda names and so
does the lilo (or grub) conf. Problem is that I cannot even try it.

Not so pleasant. A kernel build option fixing this name business might be in
order.