Re: kvm Vs qemu-kvm Vs qemu -enable-kvm

On 8/21/10, Bhasker C V <bhasker@unixindia.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I could not google out and get an effective information on what is the
> difference between the above. Can someone explain me please ?
>
>   I am talking here about the user space application only and not the
> kernel module or kqemu.
>
>   I can see kvm is supplied by the kvm developer site which is a modified
> qemu
>
>   I can also see qemu-kvm which is installed in the machines by package
> managers
>
>   I can also see qemu (the original version from qemu.org) has support for
> kvm using the switch -enable-kvm
>
>   In all the 3 cases i can see all of them using the kvm_intel module (mine
> is an intel machine).
>
>   So what is the difference ? Qemu (from the qemu.org by Fabrice Bellard
> ) also supports kvm and the kvm site gives its own kvm whcih is also
> modfied qemu. The qemu from the qemu.org site looks better since it has
> support for gigabit ethernet emulation as-well-as it can do USB 2.0
> emulation which I am seeing it lacking in kvm versions (atleast untill 88)
>
>   what to use ? kvm or qemu with -enable-kvm ? is there a difference
> between these two in the subject of performance ?
>
> Bhasker C V
> Registered linux user #306349
> Fedora Ambassador: Bhaslinux

On debian unstable, and I believe sqeeze, you have to install
qemu-kvm, and that will not provide a qemu-kvm binary.  Instead you'll
have to call "qemu -enable-kvm".  That's the way it is on debian
unstable.

With the qemu-system package you won't get to enable kvm, though you
can install both.  If you don't mind installing both, then the meta
package qemu is pretty useful so you get all user land applications to
generate images and the like...

Some other distros provide executable qemu-kvm, like archLinux, but if
you noticed it's the same as calling "qemu -enable-kvm", actually
that's what they recommend in some of their forums.  So it all depends
on the distro and the versions, I believe...

--
Javier.