Sqeeze install: partition table not written

I'm restarting a query regarding a grub2 error 15 when trying to
do a a boot after a netboot install of Debian squeeze from a USB-key
and a boot hang when I do a netinst install from the USB-key.

Thinking I needed to fix GRUB2, I booted debianLive from a usb-key,
and found that I only have one partition on my HD: /dev/sda1, which is
mounted on /boot and is marked bootable. Its content is 628 Mb and has
the expected files in it, which suggests that the content for this
partion was properly installed.

However, # fdisk -l says this is the only partition, althought during
installation I had created 14. # ls /dev | grep sda* returns only sda
and sda1. The partitioning during installation seemed to go smoothly,
as did the installation of files to those partitions.

When I do # mount, I find that /dev/sda1 is mounted in /fll/sda1, aufs
is mounted on /fll/aufs, and aufs is mounted on the various mount
points I had created. # ls reports all these mount points (/boot,
/root, /home, etc). When I do # df, I see aufs entries are mounted on
the various mount points created during partitioning. No idea what
this means. It seems all my partitions were merged during installation
and not unmerged from the aufs.

What would be a fix?

Haines Brown