Re: understanding kernel panic message

Camaleón wrote:
On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:36:03 -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
So what does it actually mean when I get the message "kernel panic: not
syncing"?  I can't seem to find a reference, in any of the obvious
places, as to what the various kernel-generated oops and panic messages
actually mean - can someone point me at one?
Better if you upload to some place the full error log or a snapshot if
the "panic" comes at installation time.

When does the error occur?
The Lenny version of the Xen Hypervisor has a known bug that causes infrequent crash/reboot events. It's the final console message before the hypervisor reboots. It's been fixed in later versions.

But having encountered it more than a few times now, I've become curious about what's going on. Which leads me to wonder if there's a guide somewhere to kernel panic messages. I can't seem to find a cross reference to kernel panic messages - but there must be one somewhere.

Miles