Re: Re: Samba matchname: host name/address mismatch: ::ffff:127.0.0.1 != localhost

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Roger Lynn <Roger@rilynn.me.uk> wrote:

> Just to let you know, your second suggestion worked, thank you. The mailing
> list seams to be eating my email. Feel free to forward this to the list if
> you think it would be helpful.
> Thanks,
> Roger

You're welcome. The first suggestion was a WAG so I'm not completely
surprised that it would fail. It turns out that the correct name for
the "::ffff:..." address is "ipv4-mapped ipv6 address" and that my WAG
failed because: "The IPv4-mapped address, 0:0:0:0:0:FFFF:w.x.y.z or
::FFFF:w.x.y.z, is used to represent an IPv4-only node to an IPv6
node. It is used only for internal representation. The IPv4-mapped
address is never used as a source or destination address for an IPv6
packet. The IPv6 protocol does not support the use of IPv4-mapped
addresses."

I agree that the second suggestion is a workaround but since samba
doesn't seem have a "noipv6" option like, for example, sshd, there
isn't really a choice... If you aren't using ipv6, you could disable
it through grub.