Re: From Console to GUI

Jangita <jangita@jangita.com> wrote:
> I have been poking around a little bit to now move my laptop to debian
> [...]

> 1. For GUI: I've chosen GNome, any reason why I should choose otherwise?
> 2. Email:  I've seen evolution, but I'm leaning towards thunderbird...

These both work for me (on a laptop/desktop system). Try Gnome, KDE,
and whatever else, and take the one that best fits your style. Some
people like Evolution, especially in an Exchange environment

> 3. Programming: For my programming I've seen evolution to be the best, I

Do you mean Eclipse? Colleagues of mine (also using GNU/Linux on a
desktop) like this. Personally, I'm an xterm, *sh, and vi(m) person

> 5. Any ideas of a GUI mysql client for windows?

The GUI MySQL client for GNU/Linux?

> 6. I forgot to mention my chat applications (skype, msn, yahoo, google
> talk) [...]

Skype and Pidgin work for me

> 7. Office Suite - I'll go for openoffice (any better alternatives?)

The Gnome stuff is lighter weight, but IMO openoffice is more full featured

> 8. Any alternative for adobe fireworks?

No suggestions for this

Chris