git hooks fail to run on bare repo

Hi list,

they may be beter served on a git list, but I'm starting here anyway.

I've got a bare git repo on my server and I push and pull through
http. This works fine, but now I'm trying to run some hooks for
various reasons.

I've done chmod +x on hooks/post-update and hooks/post-receive in the
bare repo and put in some simple statements to test it -- echo "it
works", touch post-update-ran and so forth. Nothing seems to be
working at all. It appears that the scripts are not invoked at all.

I suspect there may be something simple I'm missing, but my googling
has returned no real results except this:

which suggests that someone else is having the same problem, but
worked out around it instead of actually fixing it.

Does anyone have experience and insight into this problem?