git hooks fail to run on bare repo

Hi list,

they may be beter served on a git list, but I'm starting here anyway.

I've got a bare git repo on my server and I push and pull through
http. This works fine, but now I'm trying to run some hooks for
various reasons.

I've done chmod +x on hooks/post-update and hooks/post-receive in the
bare repo and put in some simple statements to test it -- echo "it
works", touch post-update-ran and so forth. Nothing seems to be
working at all. It appears that the scripts are not invoked at all.

I suspect there may be something simple I'm missing, but my googling
has returned no real results except this:

http://www.mail-archive.com/git-users@googlegroups.com/msg00516.html

which suggests that someone else is having the same problem, but
worked out around it instead of actually fixing it.

Does anyone have experience and insight into this problem?

thanks