Re: get kernel version of chroot

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 21:00:54 -0400 (EDT), Tong wrote:

> Is it possible to get the kernel version of a chroot system?

I'm not sure that I understand what question you are really asking.
I am assuming that you have, for example, used a Debian installation
CD as a rescue CD on a system that you do not know what version
of the kernel it normally runs.  You are now running in a chrooted
shell session.  uname -r reports the version of the kernel
that the rescue CD is running, but you want to know what
version of the kernel the target system normally runs.

If that is what you are asking, the easiest way I know to find
out is to look at what kernel image (or images) are stored in
the /boot directory.  If there's more than one, you may be able to
determine what the default kernel is by looking for the boot
loader configuration file, such as /etc/lilo.conf, /boot/grub/menu.lst,
etc.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :